Wednesday 2 April 2014

Volunteering with Go East: Part 2

By my second week on the island I was fully getting into the swing of things, I had learned about the four types of primates that the project was aiming to protect on the island. The Pygmy Loris, the Golden Cheeked Gibbon, the Silver Langer and the Black Shanked Duc. All beautiful creatures and all at risk of extinction due to deforestation, hunting, the illegal pet trade and the use of traditional Chinese medicines.

It was sad to learn the stories behind some of these animals, how two gibbons had been rescued from a tiny cage in a Vietnamise school where they had been continually stressed out and harassed by school children. Or the Pygmy Loris who had been taken from the wild and had his teeth pulled out because there was a chance he might bite his owners. Whatever the story the message was clear these animals don't make make good pets and shouldn't be taken as them.

But at Dao Tien there was hope for them. I watched them play and frolic to their heart's content, safe in the knowledge that one day there was a hope that these animals could be released back into the wild.

I was giving tours by the second week and it was great to know that I was helping to raise awareness about the plight of these animals. I also got to help clean the cages of the gibbons, a fun endevour made even more challenging by the fact that the animals would often try and grab you or your broom while you were cleaning one part of the enclosure.

What really impressed me about the project was that both the Vietnamise and British staff were so hard working, it was very humbling to see how much effort everyone put into the centre and its work.

I also got to see and photograph a bit more of the island itself including the dried out river bed behind our main office. This all had to be done carefully though as the island itself could potentially provide some unforseen hazards. Still by the end of my second week I was very much looking forward to my third week there, when I would finally get to see the gibbons feed in a semi wild environment.




No comments:

Post a Comment