Sunday 8 November 2015

A path up the mountains


The Skrrid (also know as the holy or sacred) mountain in the heart of South Wales really is an enchanting place to take an autumnal stroll. Filled as it is with leaves that are busy burning through all the autumn hues. The clouds that sweep across the sky before bursting spectacularly with rain.

There are many legends associated with this mountain and the huge chunk that has been carved out of it. Some say that a part of it broke off at the moment of Christ's crucifixion, other legends say that earth from mountain is sacred and has the power to make any land it touches fertile. On a more personal note the land here also has a special association for me, home as it is to both the people that I consider to be my extended family and as a neighbor to where we laid my stepdad to rest.

It was therefore a pleasure to take a pleasant Saturday to hike up to the top, taking photos as I went. The views were spectacular spanning the black mountain range and as I struggled at the top to take pictures while the wind tried to pitch me off the top I was filled with a real sense of accomplishment.

If you do decide to scale the Skirrid I would thoroughly recommend a trip to The Skirrid Mountain Inn, one of the oldest (reputedly most haunted) and welcoming pubs in Wales. I spent many a happy night there as a child enjoying the great food.

It really was a great day to take a trip up this historic mountain.














No comments:

Post a Comment